[SunRescue] multics is dead, long live multics!

Will Jennings rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue May 22 19:16:26 CDT 2001

Yes, Groupe Bull is still in business... You've found the North American
offices of Groupe Bull, which is a French company, based in Paris... And
they make mainframes and sell rebadged RS/6000's.. The mainframes run GCOS,
which can trace its roots to GECOS, which doesn't have much similarity to
Multics. For one, GECOS is an older operating system, with GECOS II dating
to about 1964. At one point, Mutlics and GCOS were to have a common code
base, but this never happened. GCOS is simply the renaming that occured when
GE sold the computer operations to Honeywell.. Honeywell then confused the
picture further by calling the OS for the big machines GCOS, and calling the
OS for the minis GCOS as well.. Multics was also available for large
systems, but you couldn't run Multics without also running GCOS, though I'm
talking about GCOS running on the DPS-6 mini which was required as a FEP.
Hope that helps... If anyone has any Honeywell manuals at all, please let me
know, I love the Honeywell machines and am trying to research their history
further...

Will J