[rescue] best NetBSD support

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Jun 17 00:23:20 CDT 2002

On Sun, Jun 16, 2002 at 12:42:12PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > Wow.  NetBSD support appears to be amazingly up to date.  Does anyone
> > know if things like libdv have been ported?
>
> The usability of recent Apple hardware with NetBSD really is quite
> amazing, as is that of older hardware too, even on decent variants of
> their notebooks.
>
> I don't even know what libdv is though, and 'locate' doesn't seem to
> return anything relevant, so I'd think not:

http://libdv.sourceforge.net/

However, it appears to be someone Lintel only.  It is one library used
for talking to digital video cameras on linux.

I'm actually not a big fan of DV, but it seems to be something that
can't be easily gotten away from unless someone has a tremendous
amount of money.  I don't think it is possible to get anything better
for under $10k for instance.  But, DV (and this applies to even
expensive cameras that have been used for movies like the Cannon XL1s)
uses very severe compression (they outright through away a lot of
information before ever feeding it to the JPEG compressor).

Anyway, the short of it is that with some of the more neutral XFree
supported cards (like the Matrox cards, and perhaps the ATI Radeons),
and things like good USB support (which I am under the impression is
generally equal to or better than linux's) and good firewire support
(which I don't know the status of), that NetBSD on G4s could be a very
serious workstation platform.

--
Joshua D. Boyd