[rescue] OpenWindows 1.0 anyone...?

Mike Meredith mike at redhairy1.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 9 15:09:02 CST 2005

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 21:46:14 +0100, Per Sandstrom wrote:
> by Steve Evans and introduced in SunOS 1.0 back in 1983 (way before
> the X Window System).

That didn't correspond with my recollection, so I dug up some more
concrete information. The first public release of X was in late 1985
(X9) although a customer of DEC could get X6 from January 1985. X
'started' in 1984 when the synchronous protocol of W was replaced with
an asynchronous protocol. W was written for V sometime before 1983 (no I
hadn't heard of V either).

Certainly SunWindows is earlier than X, but 'way before' seem a bit of a
stretch :)